Festival Begins and Audience Vote Opens
- Because most festivals can only reach so many people several films come and go, missing out on a larger audience. So we're accepting films from 1990 onward and are using the Web to bring those films to an audience they have yet to reach.
- We know that film relies heavily on word-of-mouth. No matter how big a film's advertising budget, if people aren't talking about a movie, tickets won't sell. So unlike other festivals, we've comprised our Grand Jury of film reviewers (who collectively reach thousands of people each month) with the goal of getting the Web talking about the winning films.
- Being online means your film is viewed by a global audience. Our site visitors come from 90 different countries.
- If selected as a finalist, your film will only be showcased online for a limited time, up to 31 days to be exact, a window small enough to still allow for distribution.
- We collate the Grand Jury reviews for our winners to include in their press kits.
- Feature Film (over 60 minutes, all genres)
- Narrative Short (under 60 minutes, all genres)
- Documentary Short (under 60 minutes, all genres)
- Animated Short (under 60 minutes, all genres)
- Music Video (music video under 15 minutes, all genres)
- Experimental Short (under 60 minutes, all genres)
A Best Film and Audience Award are given across categories. The Best Film is determined by Grand Jury vote while the Audience Award is determined by public vote.
The Best Film winner will receive a $1000 cash award. Both Best Film and Audience Award winners will receive the opportunity to have their film reviewed by our Grand Jury.
We're no longer excepting submissions for our 2012 competition. But you can submit early to our 2013 competition. Submit here.
Each entry must be accompanied by the appropriate entry fee. Entry fees are not refundable. Fees cover submission, notification that your entry has been received and notification of the result. These fees may be paid by credit card through PayPal on our online form (VISA, MasterCard, or American Express).
- Early Bird Deadline: $20.00
- All films can be entered, regardless of previous screenings and awards.
- Beneath the Earth accepts films produced in 1990 onward.
- Contestants can submit (1) one film to multiple categories, (2) multiple films to the same category (3) or multiple films to multiple categories. Each category submission, however, requires a separate entry form and fee.
- Only digital submissions are accepted.
- Films can be submitted through online methods i.e. a password protected link on a video hosting site like YouTube or Vimeo or a digital format of the film can be submitted via FTP (File Transfer Protocol) or a file transfer site (i.e. YouSendit).
- If submitting a digital version of Your film, acceptable formats are .mov, .wmv, .flv, .mp4.
- All entries must be either in English or contain English subtitles.
- The Festival also requests press materials if available.
- All entrants must agree to the Festival Terms before submitting their entries.
- Only complete entries (including entry form, payment, and screener) will be processed.
- It is advised that you keep a photocopy of the completed application for your own reference.
Beneath the Earth Film Festival is an IMDB qualifying festival. All Eligible films entered are granted a NO Hassle title page on IMDB.com.
Submit your film through our form.
Enter the 2013 competition early: Submit Here.
Audience Vote Closes
Audience & Grand Jury Votes are Tallied
Audience Award and Best Film Announced
Festival Ends Official Selection No Longer
Available for Public Viewing